April 2017 will mark the 14th annual National Donate Life Month, a celebration commemorating those who have given the gift of llfe through organ, eye and tissue donation. For those whose lives have been saved or healed by a transplant, National Donate Life Month provides a chance to share their story to encourage more people to register as donors. Every day in April, people across the U.S. make a special effort to celebrate the tremendous generosity of those who have saved lives by becoming donors and to encourage more Americans to follow their fine example.
“Each year the month of April brings springtime and nature’s renewal”, said former Secretary of Health and Human Services Tommy Thompson. “Each April will remind all Americans of their own ability to renew and improve life through the gift of donation. This commemoration is a national recognition of the promotion of organ and tissue donation.”
There is much to celebrate, including the more than 30,000 transplants that were performed in the United States last year. Yet there is still much to do. There are over 119,000 Americans, 2,900 in the state of Tennessee, on the waiting list for a life saving transplant. Every day 22 people on the national waiting list die because an organ does come in time. Thousands of people need tissue and cornea transplants to improve their health and restore their sight. (Based on OPTN data as of September 2016)
Here are some things you can do to inspire people to register to be donors: ( 2017 materials will be available March of 2017)
- Discuss organ and tissue donation with friends and family
- Like Donate Life Tennessee Facebook Page
- Download a web banner ad for your Facebook page or workplace website and include a link to the Tennessee Donor Registry at www.TnDonorRegistry.org, the Virginia Donor Registry at www.DonateLifeVirginia.org,
- Follow Donate Life Tennessee on Twitter
- Organize a donor registration table at your church, synagogue, or community gathering place
- Share a story about how donation has touched your life
- Make a tax deductible donation to Tennessee Donor Services to help us raise awareness of the need for organ and tissue donation
- Download print public serve ads and ask local newspapers to print them.
- Hold a Donate Life Challenge competition between co-workers, friends & family members to sign up the most donors.
- Send an email to or text message to friends, family, and colleagues, encouraging them to join the registry – Tennessee Donor Registry at www.TnDonorRegistry.org, the Virginia Donor Registry at www.DonateLifeVirginia.org, and the Georgia Donor Registry at www.DonateLifeGA.org.
Thank you for your interest in saving lives by participating in National Donate Life Month activities. The most important part you can play is to help people ACT by registering their decision to donate on their state donor registry (TN: www.TnDonorRegistry.org, VA: www.DonateLifeVirginia.org, GA: www.DonateLifeGA.org).
If you would like materials to hold an event during National Donate Life Month please contact your local TDS office at:
Nashville – 888.234.4440
Knoxville – 865.588.1031
Chattanooga – 888.234.4440
Tri-Cities/SW Virginia – 423.915.0808
Thank you for your help saving lives!